Thursday, May 29, 2014

Backpacking in Saigon

This trip is extra special for me because I traveled again with my cousin, Shobe. This was a follow-up trip after I visited her in SG last April 2013 (story of my recent SG trip in my next post). Since she is working in SG, we initially planned on meeting in Ho Chi Minh City (also popularly known as Saigon). I’ll be coming from Manila and she from SG. After a couple of attempts in booking a flight, she finally decided that she’ll be coming from Manila instead. That made my task easier as I just have to book two roundtrip tickets from Manila to HCMC (haha!)

Flight

I booked our flight thru Cebu Pacific. Our flight left Manila at 10:50PM and it took around 2.5 hours to reach HCMC (HCMC behind by an hour).

We arrived at Tan Son Nhat International Airport at around 12:30AM (1:30AM Manila time). Upon clearing through immigration and exiting the airport, we just took a cab to our hotel. Just be careful when choosing a taxi in Vietnam. I have heard quite a number of warnings that it is safer to take more reputable taxi companies as taxi scams are very prevalent in Vietnam. Vinasun taxi was recommended to me by a friend.

Hotel

Throughout our 3 days in HCMC, we stayed at Kim Huong HoteI¸ as recommended by my officemate. It’s just in front of the famous Ben Thanh market and walking distance to Saigon Square. This is just a simple and decent hotel. In fact you can find a lot of affordable accommodations around HCMC. I got our room at USD28 per night for two persons, inclusive of free breakfast.

I directly coordinated with the hotel via email for my inquiries and reservations. I also bought our first 2 days tours around the city with them. But take note, nothing is paid until we checked out on our 3rd day. Not bad right?

Foreign Exchange

I usually buy local currency even before my scheduled trip. That has been my practice since I started travelling in 2009. But VND is not available in our bank, so I brought USD with me and just exchanged at the airport. We all know that airport rates are relatively low compared to the rates outside so we just exchanged only a small amount just to let us reach our hotel and have some left for any contingency.

FYI. USD is widely accepted especially on big stores, restaurants, hotels, and tours. I am not sure if USD can also be used in tiangge and night market.

Tour

For both days, we were picked up by the agency from our hotel. What they did was, they pick up guests using smaller buses then they meet at one point to join everyone in a bigger bus. The country attracts tourist across continents (haha!). In fact, I lost track of the different languages I heard while inside the bus (I tried so hard to pick up the language and identify the nationality, but I failed).

We did the Cu Chi Tunnel and Mekong Delta tours on Days 1 & 2 respectively. Each costs USD14 and USD17 respectively. And already inclusive of the transpo, lunch, entrance fees, guide.  

Here are some photos of the places we visited.
View of HCMC from our hotel. Those red roofs is Ben Thanh Market 
Day 1 - Cu Chi Tunnel tour
see how we fit into this small hole
this is Shobe! :)
know what is this?
its a trap!!!
tunnel entrance
 
we managed to crawl inside the tunnel for about 20 mins
film showing
they are blonde foreigners
Day 2 - Mekong Delta tour
the boat and the river
we bought our "salakots" at the night market
river cruise
At Mekong Restaurant


Day 3 - Third day is our free day. I did not book any tour for this day. We did our huling hirit sa shopping today and also visited these places.
Notre Dame Basilica
Saigon Post Office
Inside the post office
In front of the Parliament House
I think hahaha! I really don't remember
Shopping

Ben Thanh Market

I think this is the largest and oldest marketplace in HCMC. It is mostly popular among tourist looking for souvenirs, over-runs or imitation items, coffee, tamarind, tshirts and many more. There is a daytime and night time markets here. I feel that the night market prices are cheaper than the daytime one.

TIP: Sellers would initially tend to offer higher prices than what really should be. Don’t be afraid to haggle. Haggling is very common in Vietnam, and honestly, I was immediately identified by the local as Filipina everytime I haggle (I really don’t know if this is a good thing :D).

Like in our case, I just asked how much does one tshirt cost. They said its 600VND. That is very expensive. When we were about to leave, they initially offered to bring down the cost to 300VND. That’s already 50% discount. So Shobe and I began to choose tshirts as pasalubong to our family back home. In the end, we bought around 9 or 10 tshirts and asked for discount. Finally they priced us at 200VND per tshirt. That’s almost 67% discount (hahaha!)

Saigon Square

Saigon square is an indoor air-conditioned shopping center not far from Ben Thanh market. The shops there are mostly selling clothes and bags at affordable prices. I am not sure if these are authentic or not. But those brands do have manufacturing in Vietnam and Cambodia. But I guess most of them are imitations. Nevertheless, I bought bags and clothes and they are still in good condition now.

You can also haggle here but they might not give as much discount compared to Ben Thanh Market. For me, I prefer shopping here in Saigon Square.

Vincom Center, Parkson, Diamond Plaza, Nowzone

These shopping centers houses high-end brands. The look and feel is comparable to Greenbelt. I guess this is popular for those who are really on a budget. But for us, we went inside these malls to window shop (hehehe!) and also because these malls have good airconditioning system, it’s good to stay indoors given that it was really humid outside.

Eat

I love Vietnamese food!!! I must say, this is the first trip wherein I really enjoyed the local food. I am not really a foodie. I just like comfort food which I believe I deserve after the loooog day of touring. But it was different in HCMC. I enjoyed all the food I tasted there.

1st day dinner. From the drop-off point, we happen to pass by a restaurant near New World Hotel. We chose what's within the area because we we so hungry after the tour. We ended up at Pho Hung Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup. And ofcourse, we ordered beef noodle soup :-D
they served us with those leafy thing :D
2nd day dinner. We looked for Pho 2000, as recommended by another friend. The restaurant is also known as Pho for the President. They have pictures all over the restaurant of Mr. Bill Clinton dining there. The restaurant is just outside Ben Thanh Market.
 

3rd day lunch. We decided to have lunch near our hotel. After we checked out and left our luggage (our flight is on the night), we just walked and found the Grill Bar

3rd night dinner. It was raining so hard then in HCMC. Shobe and I decided try another authentic vietnamese restaurant as this was our last night in HCMC. Our feet led us to Pho 24.
yum yum yum those noodles
Vietnamese coffee is very famous and strong. We both tried Highlands and Trung Nguyen. We even bought both 3in1 coffee as pasalubong.

trying out Trung Nguyen Coffee
beatin' the heat at Highlands Coffee
Transpo

We did not spent even a single dime on transpo, except for the taxi from and to the airport. We stayed at District 1 which is known as the central district. All the places of our interest are just walking distance away (both short and long walks). 

Budget Breakdown

In PHP
Airfare: 5,325.50 (two way per person)
Travel tax: 1,620
Terminal fee: 550
Total in Php: 7,494.50

In USD
Accommodation: USD 28 x 3 nights / 2 pax = USD 42 (3 nights per person)
Tours: USD 14 (Cu Chi) & USD 17 (Mekong) = USD 31 (2 days tour per person)
Other expenses (i.e., shopping, food) = USD 120
Total in USD: 193 (@ USD1 = Php45) = Php 8,685

Total for 3D2N in HCMC= Php 16,179.50

And with that, I am already scheduled to go back to HCMC July this year! This time, it will be Cambodia-Vietnam.

No comments:

Post a Comment